Saturday, September 20, 2008

Influenced by a speaker

I have been to many events where people delivered their speech. I know that I have been persuaded at many and thought that it was great but obviously not great enough to leave a lasting impression. However, I was at this one event where a couple from Hawaii was here in California to visit family as well as give their usual speech at a college I attended. I say usual speech because they come out mostly every year to tell their story about their lives and their 3 deceased children. Although their story was sad and touching they delivered their speech in a way that would get into the hearts of those who would hear it and make them want to learn more about their story and try to understand what happened. They were intriguing, interacted with the audience and just had a very charismatic approach to telling their story, not necessarily looking for sympathy.

The opposite of someone delivering a good speech would be a bad speaker. The only thing that comes to mind is a final speech that a speaker in my Speech class delivered. Over the course, and I know many have taken speech class, we learn to deliver our speeches better as the semester ends. I would think that people would learn from other's speeches and try to make theirs better or work on things they are nervous about. I witnessed a person trying to deliver a speech and they were just talking and talking. Their topic made people start going to sleep and start messing around with their gadgets or back packs. I do not know whether it was the topic or the person, but this one speech stood out in my mind. I think in either a speech class or at an actual event, public speaking is a common fear among all. But if someone is so passionate or confident about their topic, they will be able to deliver. Catching the attention of an audience is key and if you do not get the attention early it will be hard to keep their attention throughout the speech.

1 comment:

blondie said...

Hello Snookie,

I agree, we all attend multiple events that give us the opportunity to hear messages from either great speakers or awful speakers. These speakers display their messages to the audience, however we truly only remember a handful of speakers who have the ability to influence many individuals. I can see why this couple from Hawaii were such great speakers because they used passion behind every word they used and emotion with ever movement during their speech. It sounds as though the audience trusted the couple’s message and understood why the couple wanted to give the speech/message.

I can relate to the other part of your blog with listening to a bad speaker in class. It is always difficult to listen to a speakers message if it is not clear in the beginning of the speech and if the speaker does not address the message a few times in their speech. As for the delivery part of this speaker I agree that practice makes better, but not everyone is made for public speaking.

Hope your weekend is a blast!

Blondie